This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Extract source? :o(

4 replies to this topic

Dr.Haggard

Dr.Haggard
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 15:15

Hi all. This is probably a silly question, I'd be pretty worried if it was possible, but I simply have to ask...

Our office was recently broken into and a lot of equipment stolen. I had off site backups of most of my own stuff thankfully, but I also lost a lot of stuff that was only backed up internally (our servers were taken along with the desktops). Anyway, I need to know if it's somehow possible to extract my source .rul and .h files from *built* projects(there are a couple of projects where I only have the built media on the cds they're distributed on - the projects themselves are gone forever).

I've lost some important code, and the thought of repeating this work is kind of filling me with dread! Is there some way to get the source back from the media?! It doesn't appear to reside in the .cab files.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 16:56

You should be able to find some InstallScript decompilers on some hacker sites. However I don't know if they will work with Professional 6 scripts (the ones that I saw long ago were created for version 5).

Dr.Haggard

Dr.Haggard
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 17:59

Thanks for your reply. I've done some investigation but I haven't found anything that will work with IS 6 scripts.

If anyone reading this knows of a tool that will decompile a setup.inx (not .ins) *please* email me.

Ozone

Ozone
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 22:50

I am sorry to report that I do not know of any utility to decompile the setup.inx file.

For future reference, you might want to consider including your *.rul file and any other important file in the Language Independent, Operating System Independent folder of your setup. That way if your primary backup source fails or is stolen, you simply start up your installation from a CD and your project files will magically appear in the computers Temporary environment folder….Just copy them from there.

I run a batch file that copies the files I want to save into the folder prior to compiling the installation CD/media.

I have done this as an extra way of saving the *.rul file. It also allows me to debug a setup as I can get the exact *.rul file I used from each CD. As you must know by now, we never have installation problems to debug!

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 12:30

Perhaps this tool [URL removed*] can help you.
Ask Google for other tools, search for "installshield inx decompile" or such words.

[* to avoid legal problems I had to remove this URL. Please use the serach engine as indicated. - Stefan Krueger, Forum Adminstrator]
Gruß / regards
Thomas