This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Custom action to launch an executable

2 replies to this topic

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:37

Hi ,

I am working on a Basic MSI project and i am creating a custom action which triggers a executable which is stored in the property table, in the property table i am currently hardcoding the path to the executable but i want to make it generic since the name of the exe changes for every release. Please find below my requirement.

->The exe should be triggered through a custom action which will be stored alongside with the main Setup.exe, both the exe's are shipped to the customer and will be saved in the same directory.

->My custom action uses the "sourcedir" property to get the exe path and when the user selects the feature during installation if the particular feature is selected for installation then my custom action should parse the sourcedir path and launch the exe.
But the problem is the name of the exe changes often but some part of the file name is constant for ex : Install1 , Install2 , so how do i achieve this ?.... I somehow want to use a wild character lile Inst* and pass the complete path to my custom action which will trigger the exe.

I hope the problem is clear , can anyone help me in this regard.

Thanks
Balaji

MSIYER

MSIYER
  • Full Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:34

You would, in any case, know the exe name when going for the release build. You can modify the property accordingly and send the setup to QA.

Anyhow, have a look at this:
http://kb.flexerasof...refFindFile.htm

You can create an Installscript CA and use the function to detect the desired exe.

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:34

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply , i implemented using the link you shared it works.. cool.gif