InstallScript - Uninstallation issue
Posted 12 February 2012 - 00:02
we have recently migrated our pure InstallScript based project from Install Shield 12 to IS 2011. When I am uninstalling the product from ARP it doesn't uninstall the product. Based on:
1) It still leaves the entry in ARP
2) All the files it installed it leaves behind
3) When re-attempt to uninstall it from ARP, windows "Uninstallation error" comes up indicating that "An error occured while trying to remove [Product Name]. It may have already been uninstalled. Would you like to remove [Product Name] from the Add or Remove program list?" - Yes/No
It goes through OnMaintUIBefore, OnMoveData, OnMaintUIAfter events, but I don't get any log info whether it ever goes to "OnUnistall" event. These are same event sequences as our old product which was built using IS 12. We didn't have this issue with our old product.
Can someone please assist me here? This is one of the most critical issues we are running into after upgrading our project to use IS 2011.
Pleaes let me know if any additional informaion needed.
Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:04
In addition to previous information, an additional observation in installation log (setup.ilg):
The product built using IS 12 -- shows all files that are associated with Feature(as part of components) under [APP_MAIN_LOG\Data\DefaultFeature\File Operations]
The product built using IS 2011 (after converting from IS 12): Doesn't show any files under [APP_MAIN_LOG\Data\DefaultFeature\File Operations]
Is this a right behavior in IS 2011? Please advise, how to address this issue.
Posted 13 February 2012 - 16:34
However, it sounds like it's really an installation issue since the uninstall is just processing the contents of the log file as-is. I don't know how to resolve this problem though and would recommend contacting Flexera Software.
Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:03
Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:58
"The problem occurs when the following is true in the project:
1) In the General Information view, the 'Font Registration' is set to 'Enabled'
2) The ARIALUNI.TTF font file is statically defined to the ArialUnicodeMS component with the File Property Checkbox labeled 'Register Font File' is checked.
I was able to recreate this problem in a sample project. I was also able to recreate the problem in a sample with our newest version of the product, InstallShield 2012. Therefore, I have reported the problem to the InstallShield Engineering team as issue number IOA-000069311. There is no estimate on when a fix will be made available for this problem.
As an immediate workaround, I suggest statically defining all font files to components and use the file property to set font registration on each font file:
1) In the General Information view, set 'Font Registration' is set to 'Disabled'.
2) Statically Add font files to components
3) Right click on font files, select Properties, and check the check box labeled 'Register Font Files'
Posted 15 March 2012 - 14:46
Thank you for the update Vinay as well as the workaround because I expect it will be helpful to others in the future.