This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

LogFile with basic msi project

4 replies to this topic

Heike

Heike
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 June 2002 - 11:20

Hi!
I'm using the following command line arguments for logging:
/L!omrwiucape %TEMP%\MyLog.log

But this does not work. Running setup an error message appears, that the user should check if the logFile is write protected, then setup ends.
How can I change the path of the logFile, using a basic msi project?
(InstallShield 7.0.2)

THX

//Heike

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 June 2002 - 19:30

I don't think this is specific to ISD, so I'll move your question to the General MSI forum.

Heike

Heike
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 June 2002 - 08:25

Hi!
Sorry about wrong placing the question ... but does anybody knows why

/L!omrwiucape %TEMP%\MyLog.log

cause an error message during run of setup?

//Heike

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 16:30

i have recreated your error message by mistakenly placing a %%Temp% on the command line.  is it possible that your temp variable does not exist or is named differently, TMP ?  ( if, at the command line, a SET <Enter> will display all of the currently defined variables.  however, when using SMS i have discovered that the available variables are different from the available command-line variables, different environments it seems...)

when i fixed my mistake it worked.  perhaps you could also try explicitly typing the path and log file name for debugging purposes...  say C:\Temp\MyLog.LOG ( to shorten up the logging line i replaced it with /L*v to enable verbose logging...)

hope that this helps...

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 16:39

sorry for double-post,,, but  i came across another response in this forum and have copied it into this post...

h.teichert-ott
    Group: Members

Posted: June 19 2002,07:47

I can't tell you for sure, but somewhere (sorry, I forgot where it was) I read that this behaviour depends on the version of "setup.exe" used by your setup. All elder versions (from ISWi 1.1/1.5/2.0 and I think of ISD 7.0 to 7.02) don't resolve environment variables contained in the CmdLine variable.

Normally it's the job of the command line interpreter (cmd.exe on Win NT for example) to resolve such environment variables and replace them with their "real" value and give the resolved commandline to the app being executed. In case of the CmdLine variable in "setup.ini" it's "setup.exe" which has to resolve the  variables and give them to the installer (msiexec.exe).

If setup.exe doesn't resolve it, then msiexec will get "%temp%\MyLog.log" as path to the logfile - and that's a bad path, because this directory (%temp%) doesn't  exist.

--------------
                          h.teichert-ott
                          Product Development, HumanScan GmbH, Germany
                          http://www.humanscan.de