This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Registry information not in built msi

6 replies to this topic

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 18:15

I've got a file that is COM so I have Installshield extract the COM information and it automatically places the information in the Registry (2 GUIDS HKCR\Interface) and Class (1 CLSID) tables. It was pointed out to me that after an install, the file doesn't seem to be registered. I looked at the ISM and it seemed to be fine, but when I opened the built .ism and looked in the registry table, only 1 of the 2 keys was in there and the one CLSID in the Class table was missing too. Any ideas?

-- spdygnlz --

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:27

Make sure that the source file was registered during InstallShield extraction. When you ask InstallShield to extract the class information at build time, make sure that that source file is still registered at build time.
You can easily forget that last part, for instance when you build on a developer system, then install on that same system, the source file is no longer registered. When you uninstall on the system, it is still not registered.

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 16:59

Not sure I understand what you're getting at. Doesn't Installshield extract all of the registry information whether it's registered or not? Anyway, I have my component set to not extract at build. All of the COM informaiton was extracted at the time I added the component and I verified that it's in there.

-- spdygnlz --

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 17:48

Assuming that the information is missing from the resulting MSI (and you checked that with Orca) something went wrong when the MSI was created.

Maybe all missing information is related to one or more conditional features. Either way check the log of InstallShield building the MSI.

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 21:13

I checked with orca after the build and those entries are not there. Again, it's only 2 out of 3 that are missing from the same component. I'd assume that if it were a conditional thing, none of them would get in there.

I did check to see if there were any conditions on any components or features, but there are none.

After an install, the log file doesn't have any information about those registry entries as it didn't even make it into the msi. The one registry entry that did make it into the built msi is in the install log and on the target machine.

Any other suggestions?

-- spdygnlz --

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:31

Try the log file created by InstallShield when it builds the MSI.

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 20:47

No love there. Doesn't mention anything about it.

-- spdygnlz --