This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

User Interface on Uninstall

3 replies to this topic

bobinsf

bobinsf
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 03:15

Hi,

I am doing my first Install Shield Basic MSI installer. I need to do some specific things when my product is uninstalled. This requires a GUI.

One thing I need to do is to collect a password from the user. I was able to do this by calling the Iscript function "EnterPassword". The dialog is kind of ugly though and I'd like the flexibility of making changes to it. Does anyone know how?

I will in a month or two have to do a lot more UI. We want to allow users to choose between uninstalling the whole package, or reverting to the free, and less functional package. This will require more complicated dialogs.

If anyone has ideas about how to put together a more complex UI for uninstall please let me know.

I've tried to figure out how to put diologs into the execute sequence (which is all that seems to run when the user clicks "Remove"), but haven't had any success.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Bob

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 03:42

I am afraid I have some bad news for you: Installshield automatically skips the entire user interface sequence when you select Remove from "Add/Remove programs". Here is some more info:
http://community.ins...threadid=128008

It is not possible to insert dialogs in the execute sequence. I believe you can disable the "Remove" button and keep only the "Change" button. But I seem to recall that this causes the unfortunate side-effect that there are no buttons in add/remove at all on some operating systems...
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

bobinsf

bobinsf
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 19:08

mad.gif Oh well!

What were they thinking. I guess I'm off to write some dialogs in C++ and put them in a dll.

Or maybe I should learn more about IScript. If I can edit resources on the dialogs that EnterPassword uses (and other such functions) then I can cobble this together.

Thanks for the input.

-Bob

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 08:40

As Glytzhkof suggested you can disable the Remove button in control panel. You can do this by setting ARPNOREMOVE in a custom action that only executes on Windows 2000 and above to avoid the mentioned problem on older operating systems.