This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstall leaves directories

4 replies to this topic

mspa

mspa
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 13:14

In my installation using IS11 I create several folders with files in my installation directory. Upon deinstalling, all files in the local installation folder are removed but all created folders including the files are left behind on the system.

I have already tried to play with the settings 'Shared' and 'Permanent' for the components that create the folders but it doesn't matter. I have one folder which is removed including all it's files but I cannot detect any differences in the component settings with the folders that aren't removed.

Any tips in how to remove these folders upon deinstallation?

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:24

Hi,

Are the files in those folders being used by an service like WWW service or locked by some component such as IIS? If so stop all such services and then try.

Thanks
Kiran

vasil@scand.com

vasil@scand.com
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 13:02

I have the same problem.
I found that folders are locked by IIS.
I reproduced bug on IS2008 & IS2010.

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 17:18

Any tips in how to remove these folders upon deinstallation?

Sometimes I find you just have to increase the size of the hammer. If the conventional ways are not working, you could always create a Custom Action and execute it at the end of the Execute Sequence after the InstallFinalize action. But put the condition of:

REMOVE="ALL"

on the action so that it only executes when the product is unistalled.

My preference is VBScript Custom Actions. Start with sub-folders and work your way up. The 'True' value in the DeleteFolder call forces the folder to be removed. Example below...

=========

On Error Resume Next

KillFolder "C:\MyFolderToKill\Temp"
KillFolder "C:\MyFolderToKill\Common"
KillFolder "C:\MyFolderToKill"

Sub KillFolder (sFolder)
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
fso.DeleteFolder(sFolder,True)
Set fso = Nothing
End Sub

Edited by smc0862, 19 February 2010 - 17:21.

hrms

hrms
  • Full Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 14:18

Hi smc0862,

I tried your solution, but the installer aborts during the uninstallation saying that the transaction has not been started.

Are you sure, that the stated install sequence position and condition are correct?