This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Strategy for Installing Multiple Copies of File

3 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 19:03

Hi all,

We are soon going to be undertaking the task of streamlining our installs and here is a situation that I would like to cleanup....

First, for background... our core application has some interop .dlls installed to the main program/application directory. These same interops are used in various places throughout the application. What happens is this. During our installation build script, the interops for the core application are compiled then copied to the various subfolders where they are needed. What results is an overhead of 77-80 additional files in the installation that are exactly the same.

What I would like to do here to clean this mess up is have all the ancillary applications that are installed as part of our core app reference the .dlls in the core program installation folder instead of their own application folder. This, of course would be a development initiative, but would clean up the install considerably.

I was just wondering if this was the best approach.

There is another piece. We have some PlugIn installations that, when installed, detect the core apps presence and copy the interops where needed for this new PlugIn. I would think the same could/should be done here as well - just reference the .dlls in the core programs installation location.

Does this sound like a good plan or are there other ways of handling these scenarios. We like to try to keep to ourselves in that we don't like to have to write anything to the GAC, SxS folders, etc.

Since none of the ancillary applications or the external PlugIns will function or even install without the presence of our core application, I don't think we have to install the .dlls for each, use ref counts, etc.

The practices described above are ancient practices that I think should be cleaned up as much as possible.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Again, I think this is more or less a core/PlugIn development issue and not that of installation development, but hopefully any added responses will clear it up for me.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 13:20

I'm not an expert in this area but to me this sounds like a good plan, if you can get development to make these changes.

Altertnatively maybe you could sue the DuplicateFile table so that only one copy of the file is in your setup package but it can be duplicated to multiple locations. This wouldn't help for the plug-in installations though.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 13:58

Huh, DuplicateFile table, thanks for that little tip. I might use that as something different in the interim until development can make the changes.

How are the duplicated files handled during uninstall? Does something have to be authored into the Remove Files table(s)?

Edited by Superfreak3, 23 March 2010 - 14:11.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:25

No, the RemoveDuplicateFiles action uses the same table to wipe out the duplicates.