This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallShield DevStudio 9 Beta

7 replies to this topic

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 19:48

The InstallShield DevStudio™ 9 Beta program has started.

InstallShield DevStudio 9 is the successor for both, InstallShield Professional and InstallShield Developer. This means you can also build non-MSI setups that use pure InstallScript technology.

DevStudio 9 enables software developers to create InstallScript-based, Windows Installer (MSI), and smart device installations -- all while using a single, easy-to-use interface. You select the installation technology that is right for the situation. InstallShield DevStudio 9 is a direct upgrade for both InstallShield Professional and InstallShield Developer, offering distinct and familiar project types for each group of users.

Enhancements for users of InstallShield Professional 7 include:

• Built-in Dialog Editor
  • Standalone Build module for clean build environments
  • New Project Assistant
  • Many additional third-party technology objects
  • Full Automation interface for programmatic modification of projects
  • Integration into the Visual Studio .NET IDE
  • Direct links from build output to Error Central

Enhancements for users of InstallShield Developer 8 include:

• New MSI Debugger
  • New MSI Differencing tool
  • Direct links from build output to Error Central
  • New Project Assistant
  • XML project files, enabling enhanced source code control and the use of command line editing tools
  • COM+ View
  • Smartphone support

InstallShield will give you a $50 gift certificate to Amazon.com if you have problems migrating your Professional 7, Developer, InstallShield for Windows Installer, or Express project into DevStudio 9!

The beta is expected to run for about four weeks.

To find out more about the beta program and to apply for enrollment, please visit http://www.installsh...ta/devstudio/9/

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 20:10

I want to point out some features that I personally find quite cool:

• Using the XML project format in combination with a style sheet enables you to easily display a report for your project contents. You can adjust the style sheet to your requirements. Note that you do not "generate" a report, but the report is just another view of your project file, i.e. it is always up to date.
  • You can use merge modules in InstallScript projects.
  • The COM+ view enables you to install COM+ component without worrying about exporting them and running them as sub-install, which was a major headache.
  • You can now refresh the COM data that DevStudio extracted from a COM component. Previously this would only happen once (when you create the component) or with every build. This is one of the nice usability enhancements.

P.S. DevStudio 9 can co-exist with previous versions of Developer and Professinal on the same machine.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 14:59

So no money if I have trouble migrating from Professkional 6? Pah. Using the link, I also see it's limited to first 10 verified issues. Double pah. Oh well, I wouldn't want money anyway. I would want an workaround/solution. tongue.gif

Regardless, this definitely sounds like a step in the right direction. Now people won't have to make a decision between the two technologies before buying the products, or be stuck with one or the other after the fact.

I wonder what the pricing is gonna be though. Maybe 1/2 or 2/3 of Professional Price + Developer Price? unsure.gif
user posted image

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 15:09

Well, migration from Pro6 tp Pro7 is guaranteed, so you could take the extra step to get the money smile.gif

I have no idea about the pricing.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 17:18

Yes, assuming you've already bought 7. As you know Stefan, I'm still on 6. wink.gif

Edited by TacoBell00, 03 August 2003 - 17:19.

user posted image

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 23:00

Yes I know, but I believe the Pro7 Eval would be enough wink.gif
But anyway, I believe the primary goal here is to get a products that's working properly.

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 12:02

And what about migrating IS5pro setup scripts?
Is there a way like
IS5 -> IS6 -> IS7 -> IS9
wacko.gif
Gruß / regards
Thomas

Guest_Guest

Guest_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2003 - 16:42

New MSI Debugger

XML project files, enabling enhanced source code control and the use of command line editing tools

COM+ View

These are the three i'm interested in.

The current msi debugger is bobbins, hopefully this will make the database more transparent at runtime and remove the need for messagebox popups.

The current .isv project makes it extremely difficult for more than one developer to work on a project and the XML means we can fudge it until our heart is content. Like Find & Replace "InstallShield" smile.gif