This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

All Non Versioned files deleted

4 replies to this topic

sgshankar

sgshankar
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 11:45

Hi

When I apply patch all the previously installed non versioned files like .asp, .txt files were gets deleted.

How could I prevent this ?

Any solutions please

sgshankar

nlaing

nlaing
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 14:40

I'm having the same problem.  More specifically, any non-versioned, non-updated files are getting deleted.  I am using IS Dev 7.03 with a Standard project to generate the patch.  I have no idea why this is happening.  I've followed all of the rules for minor updates.  I've changed the Package code, kept the ProductVersion and Product code the same.  Our product release has been delayed for 2 weeks waiting for the patch bug fixes in 7.03, and now that's not working right either.  PLEASE help!  Thanks,

-Nate

sgshankar

sgshankar
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 06:46

Hellow

I have worked out the solution for that.

You might have prepared your setup in Compressed mode.
This only causes the deletion problem.

I created setup in Uncompressed mode and prepared patches
which works fine.

NOTE: Your client machines should have been installed with
same uncompressed mode.

Please Try this and let me know

regards
sgshankar

nlaing

nlaing
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 16:54

That would be a nice work around, but our original release has been in the field for a while now, and that was distributed as a compressed (in a cab file with seperate ismsi/isscript/setup.exe).  We need to be able to patch this, so that solution probably won't work.  Thanks though.  Any other ideas?

jung

jung
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 17:23

We face the same problem:

* we have release A and B (ISD704 standard Prj)
* B differes from A only in package code and version number, files in B differ (about 20)

* B has been created with reference to A to sync dynamic file groups

* both A and B have been created uncompressed
* Earlier A' release has been compiled "compressed" with ISD 702 - this is what customers got

* patch has been created without errors, logfile shows really only the differing files (DLLs and EXEs with incremented version). Patch Tool was given reference to uncompressed releases A and B.

Now, when I install A' on a clean machine and apply the patch all concerning DLLs and EXEs get updated fine, but ALL UNVERSIONED FILES ARE DELETED FROM THE INSTALLATION !!!

I noticed that A' (built with ISD 702) has an EMPTY MSIFileHashTable. So MSI obviously cannot deal with unversioned files here and tries to reinstall them from source during patching.

MSI logfile lists the feature/components marked as "REINSTALL" and then tries to copy the files from the wrong source cabfile. The former installation source location (network drive in our case) is resolved correctly - only the name of the cabfile is wrong!

Has anybody seen this? Does anybody have a workaround? I'm really running out of ideas...