This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Unversioned files become Modified after reboot

4 replies to this topic

dtieuf

dtieuf
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 16:23

Hi all,

I am shipping unversioned files with proper dates (Created = Modified).
These files are neither exe nor dll, just app-specific data files that should not be modified by the user.

If the program is running while patching (I know it's bad but I can't hold their hands...), then they are prompted to reboot, which is inevitable here.

<EDIT>After the reboot, a binary diff shows that the content is the same, but the dates become Created < Modified. So all subsequent patches ignore this file.</EDIT>

I have tried entries in RemoveFile, but if the app is still running, then the file is removed and not reinstalled at all....

<EDIT>And to make things worse, the package does not include an exe/dll that would have its own version info. So I can't use companion files.</EDIT>

Any idea on how to fix this and/or make my install fullproof ?

Thank you

Sophie

Edited by dtieuf, 30 March 2006 - 20:38.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 14:07

That really sounds weired and might be a bug in Windows Installer or in the "rename during reboot" behaviour of Windows. I'd suggest you contact Microsoft support to see if they can confirm this problem.

dtieuf

dtieuf
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 14:53

What would be the most appropriate channel for this ?

All I can see is Windows, VisualStudio, Office, etc. but not feedback entry point for Windows Installer......

dtieuf

dtieuf
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 15:42

After second thought, since we support win9x users and Microsoft no longer does, even if they fixed that, it would not be fixed for all of my users.

I guess I'll have to find a workaround...

Anyway, thank you for your quick response.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 18:17

If you have a MSDN subscription there are support incidents included, so you could phone them. If you register your newsgroup e-mail address with MSDN they also gurantee timely responses to your newsgroup postings in certain groups.