This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

checking for Windows Installer

4 replies to this topic

Kate

Kate
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 February 2001 - 22:53

How can I check a user's machine for Windows Installer Service BEFORE the user downloads my product setup? I'm shooting for a small download (per bus dev) and would like to be able to offer a setup with the MSI engine and a setup without the MSI engine. Any ideas? Suggestions?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 February 2001 - 23:58

If the browser supports VB Script, you could have something like this on your web page:
set objInstaller = CreateObject("WindowsInstaller.Installer")
If this results in a failure, Windows Installer is not there.

A general solution for all browsers would require the download of a small executable I think.

Kate

Kate
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 February 2001 - 17:21

That's what I was afraid of! Thanks much.

SteveP

SteveP
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 February 2001 - 01:06

Another approach is to use a modification of the Wrapper that Microsoft offers to check for the version of Windows, verify that the Installer package is there, and install it, if not.  The wrapper is really quite small (my version for NT/2000) is 169KB.

You can probably hook it up so that the client downloads only the install package needed (both are about 1.5 Meg) and then you would only have to worry about the MSI package.  You would not, theoretically, need another install.

Please let me know if you would like to have additional information on this option.