This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to add Merge Module Install Condition ?

13 replies to this topic

niravm

niravm
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:48

Hi,

I am facing problem on Merge Module Install Condition.

there is no property to set Merge Module Install Condition.

In my installation i have put two selection box. 1. server 2. client

If user select server then only installer should install merge module.

But here merge module is also install for client.

I can put condition for other files and its works fine but I am facing problem in merge module

Need help please.

Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 20:19

The components from the merge module are merged into your main .msi and become a regualr part of it. So you can't condition the module itself, but you could condition it's components, or the feature with which the module is associated.

niravm

niravm
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:18

Hi
I am using BDEMergeModule in my project.
So from where I can find associated componants for this.
I have four files.
1. BDEMMCFG.EXE
2. BDEMERGE.INI
3. BDE_PRO.msm
4. Readme.txt

I want to install BDE Merge module if user has selected server option while installation created by windows installer.

thanks

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:34

You should associate the merge module with a feature called "BDE" or whatever feature installs your "Server option" components.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

niravm

niravm
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 13:39

First of all from where can i associate BDE?
I have above listed file. and i m adding merge module by right click on setup project and add merge module.

but when i insall client it also install BDE module. I want to install only on server selection.

there is no provision to set condition while installation same I can do for other files.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 14:31

I guess this really depends on which tool you are using to build yaour .msi file or to add the merge module.

niravm

niravm
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 14:49

I am using windows installer to make build

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 14:58

Windows Installer is a technology, not a tool. Can you describe the exact steps you follow in order to add the merge module and build the .msi? Start with launching whatever program you are using to create the setup project.

niravm

niravm
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 15:19

Hi,
step by step creation on .msi

1. launch Microsoft VS 2005
2. create new setup and diployment project.
3. in file system edior i have added all setup file.
4. select user interface editor
5 . add new checkboxs(A) page for select (1) server (2) Client.
6. Now right click on setup project
7. select add merge Module
8. select BDE_Pro.msm file.
9. In file system edior i have set propery value for Condition Client=1 and for server = 1 for respective files.
10. there is no condtion propery for merge module file.
11. then i build this setup and create .msi
12. Now install setup.. select server
13 It will install all server files and merge module.
14. And now if I select client setup it still install merge module. (because condition is not set)

15. I dont want to install merge module if user select client during installation.

Hope it is now clear.

Thanks in advance

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 18:23

Yes, I see now you are using Visual Studio to author your setup. Visla Studio doesn't support multiple features so you can't do this. I'd recommend you use a more capable msi authoring tool, see list at http://www.installsi...g/go/msidev.htm

remindkumar

remindkumar
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:07

Hi,

I am also having similar kind of problem!

I'm using Visual studio 2005 to create the .msi file.

My project has two plugins and that can be installed based on the user selection.
I have added those two plug-ins as merge modules and included in my main setup program. I have added User interface with Check boxes (CustomCheckA).

I have added a radio group with two radio buttons on top of the check boxes in CustomCheckA form using post build event script. These two radio buttons serves like 'Install all plug-ins' and 'Install selected plugins'. I have added a property named 'PluginProperty' and set default value to 'All'.

When all plug-ins option is selected all plugins will be installed. When 'Install selected plugins' option is selected the checkboxes will be enabled and based on the user selection in check boxes it will install the plug-in files.

In the Plug-in files condition if I set 'CHECKBOXA1'.... the plug-in is installed when I checked the First Check box.

But I need a different condition based on the radio group selected. I have set the codition like...

(PluginSelectionProperty="All" OR ((PluginSelectionProperty="Selective") AND (CHECKBOXA1)))

But this condition doesnot work and always install plug-in 1.

I did not add any events or custom actions to the PluginSelectionProperty.

It seems like the PluginSelectionProperty value is not set to 'Selective' when "'Install selected plugins' option is selected. I have added the control condition to enable and disable Checkboxes and works fine with the selection.

Please suggest what I'm missing...?

Thanks in advance.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 16:08

You need to use public properties, i.e. property names in all capital letters.

Feature selection using feature conditions set in the UI will not work properly on Windows 9x. The recommended way is to use control events AddLocal and Remove on the "Next" button of the dialog. Of course this isn't supported by the Visual Studio IDE, but if you are post-processing the msi file anyway... I'd recommend a fully featured MSI authoring tool instead, however.

remindkumar

remindkumar
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:59

Thank you very much.
It works fine with public properties.
I'm trying convert my setup into WIX now. But found very difficult in adding many files. My project is having 1000+ files. Using mallow makes some effort... but don't know how to add Fragment in to main wxs file. Also gives Name, Longname conflicts in almost all files...

Any suggestions..?

I'm using VS2005 on XP machine.

Thanks again

Muthukkumaran. R

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:39

QUOTE (remindkumar @ 2009-02-03 09:59)
Any suggestions..?

IIRC, there's a very good, active forum on SourceForge for Wix. To me, that would seem a more appropriate forum for your question, if you're expecting a timely response.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.