This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to display a simple MessageBox...

3 replies to this topic

ragi

ragi
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 17:34

We use DevStudio 9 and created a Basic MSI Project.
At the end of the installation process we want to display a messagebox with some instructions for the user, e.g. "Next steps: 1) Do This 2) Then do this..."

We added a custom action that calls an installscript function. This installscript function shows the message box. Fine! We tried this CustomAction in different positions in the UI sequence and in the execute sequence. When it's placed in the execute sequence after InstallFinalize, this Message is show during the installtion progress (about 80% of the progress window). We didn't find a "later" position.

What we want: When the user finishes the installation and confirms the last dialog, which tells him, that the installation is completed, then the MessageBox should appear.

In InstallScript Projects I could solve my problem, when I display the MessageBox in the OnEnd Function. (... but we don't want to switch "back" to an InstallScript Project.)

How to do this in Basic MSI Projects?

Thanks,
Ragi

Rainer

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:43

Could you put the information on the SteupComplete dialog?
Or launch notepad to display a readme file when the user clicks Finish on the SetupComplete dialog? This way they could even leave the intructions on screen after your setup is closed.
Displaying a MessageBox from there is not easy.

ragi

ragi
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 10:18

Stefan,

I think will will display a reame file - either as txt or html-file. When we place the information in the SetupComplete-Dialog, no one will read it ;-)

You say "Displaying a MessageBox from there is not easy". Do you know a KB article or a posting in this forum, where we can read more about it?

Thanks.
Rainer

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:33

The problem is that the InstalLScript engine has already been shut down at this time. So you would either need to restart the engine, or call the MessageBox Windows API directly.