This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Newbie question about UPGRADES

2 replies to this topic

Josh Luth

Josh Luth
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 20:01

Im fairly new to authoring upgrades. Im not sure that I am grasping everything that I need. First of all, how does the Windows installer decide to update a file. For example, I have an install with 3 Features. One of the features is just a bunch of Merge Modules for MSDE. Another feature is my actual Program Files which contain several Components of its own... not all components have a Key File. The third Feature are the database files that will be attached to the MSDE install.

I wanted to make an update so I opened my original install, changed the Package code and then in the CmdLine of the Setup.ini I put in "REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=ALL". It seems to recognize that Im doing an upgrade when I run it, but no files are replaced. The only file that is newer is the program exe. (I changed the version from 1.0.0.1 to 1.0.0.2) So I expected to see this new file after the upgrade.

Am I doing something wrong?

Another question I have is that I have discovered that a particular component that I used to install is no longer needed, can I remove that component from the project and expect the install to remove it? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Josh Luth

Josh Luth
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 December 2002 - 18:34

Well it looks like Im answering my own question again!!! It looks like the problem all along was how I versioned my Product. I had my ProductVersion at 9.0.0 and changed it to 9.0.1 to do the upgrade...... Well it looks like Windows Installer wants to see the ProductVersion in the form of XX.XX.XXXX not just X.X.X so I changed my Upgraded package ProductVersion to 9.00.1000 and it seems to work now.

Well hopefully my pain will now help someone else out.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 16:05

I'm not sure that this was really the cause of your problem.

About the component: I suggest you leave the component in the setup, but with a condition of 0. This way it will be deselected which should cuase it to be uninstalled, but only if you marked the component as "transitive" (in InstallShield this is "reevaluate condition"). The files however will still be in the setup, increasing its size.