This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Basic Patch problem

3 replies to this topic

asack

asack
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 11:15

Hello Group

Here is my problem:

I created a patch(myproduct.msp) using msimsp SDK tool. I created the msi package using Visual studio installer. The diffrent between the target package and the upgraded package is one component witch is the program's exe file, It is bigger and the version is higher. I apply the patch using this command: "msiexec /p mypackage.msp reinstall=all reinstallmode=vomus". The setup runs like it runs when I installs the program on a computer without my program. after the setups runs nothing is changing. My packages has one feature and a lot of components, the upgradecode is different in the target msi and the upgraded msi. I made the change between the target msi and upgraded msi with ORCA. any tips will help!

Thank you in advance
   O. Shmolovsky

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 11:28

the upgradecode is different in the target msi and the upgraded msi

and that's the reason why...

Have a look at Component, package, product and upgrade codes in Windows Installer on this website. It helps a lot.
h.teichert-ott

asack

asack
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 12:02

Ok, now when I am trying to create the patch with msimsp it always says : "UpgradeCode is not a valid GUID" I use the guidgen to create the upgradecode guid. I don't understand how can it be invalid???

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 May 2002 - 08:52

Not every guid is a GUID. Windows installer docu says about GUIDs:
The GUID data type is a text string representing a Class identifier (ID). COM must be able to convert the string to a valid Class ID. All GUIDs must be authored in uppercase.

The valid format for a GUID is {XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX} where X is a hex digit (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F).

Note that utilities such as GUIDGEN can generate GUIDs containing lowercase letters. These must all be changed to uppercase letters before the GUID can be used by the installer as a valid product code, package code, or component code

You have to assure that all letters are UPPERCASE - otherwise it's not a valid GUID from Windows installers point of view.
h.teichert-ott