This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrading my project

3 replies to this topic

Treach

Treach
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 16:01

Hi,

I'm authoring an MSI Basic Project. One version is already distributed and now I want to update it but when I'm trying to upgrade the old version,none of the new files are copied,I mean all the files from the old version are not overwritten. I have created a log file.There is a row containg:
MSI © (7F:E3): SELMGR: ComponentId '{B20FEFCE-72BF-4C09-89FB-44E6253AEC7B}' is registered to feature 'Basic_Feature', but is not present in the Component table. Removal of components from a feature is not supported!
MSI © (7F:E3): SELMGR: The feature-component mapping registration is broken for feature 'Basic_Feature' of product '{96DC500F-4A0A-40D9-8F73-F4D0A82DCCF9}'

There is no component with this ID in my project. I have tried to add new one setting this Component Code to it but result is the same.
I think that a component is deleted and that's the problem but how can I get around this problem?
Thanks in advance

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 12:03

A component with ID {B20FEFCE-72BF-4C09-89FB-44E6253AEC7B} existed in your old version but no longer in the new version. This could happen if you remove a component or change the GUID of an existing component. Using dynamic links to include files from sub-folders is known to cause this problem (if you are using InstallShield). The removed component may be in your main project or in a merge module (e.g. you removed a merge module from your project). Open the old .msi file in Orca and use the search function to look for the GUID. This should tell you which component is the problem.

In a minor update you must not remove a component. Either leave the component in place, or - if you need to remove it - build a Major Upgrade by changing the ProductCode and populating the Upgrade table.

Treach

Treach
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 14:58

I'm using InstallShield X

The problem is that I have built the project in one setup.exe and I didn't keep the old .msi file. I think that a component is removed,rather than merge module. Is there any way to extract the component name from the old setup.exe by its ComponentID. Maybe this should help me.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:40

setup.exe /a should extract the contents of the package. Then you can access the msi file.