This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

2x in add/remove list

7 replies to this topic

tomsills

tomsills
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 02:11

I have InstalShield Express 5 sp2 on XP.

I change only the product guid (not the upgrade guid), and my newer install works in the sense that the shortcut takes me to the new version, but the old and new versions both show up in the add/remove programs list.

Thanks,
Tom

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:20

This typically means that the uninstall of the old version didn't succeed. An MSI Log of the update should give you details.

tomsills

tomsills
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 15:57

Thanks. I see 'log function' and 'log method' in the help index, but I do not understand where to begin with these. Is there another place in help that explains this? It seems to start in space for me, and I cannot find the context anywhere in help, FAQs, etc. Maybe there is a book available ?

Thanks,
Tom

tomsills

tomsills
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 19:38

Now I have it requiring the user to uninstall the previous version manually in Windows Add/remove. That is not the most elegant, but is much better than having the app show up twice in the add/remove list. And it indicates that the installshield does recognize a prior version of the same product.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 10:59

For MSI logging see
http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm

tomsills

tomsills
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 00:00

I am using InstallShield Express 5.0 sp2.

None of the things in that reference seem to work for me. I opened a command window at the folder where my singleimage setup.exe is. I tried various ways of passing the startlogging commands, but no joy.

Thanks,
Tom

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 10:16

setup.exe /v"/L*v C:\log.txt"
or use the registry method.

tomsills

tomsills
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:29

That got it. Thank you !!!

If you're curious:
I had a copy on CD of the previous ise, supposedly with an accurate Upgrade Code. But no !

Thanks,
Tom