This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Delete some files during Small Update.

4 replies to this topic

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:03

Hi ,

1)I have a requirement where i am using a Small update to update some files between versions of my product, i am doing this by changing the package code each time the setup is created. Now what i want to do is , i want to delete some files from the target system when i update my software this is because the exe generates some runtime data files which are not compatiable between releases and i dont want to suggest the customer to delete it manually whenever they upgrade the software , can you please let me know how i can accomplish using the small update feature in installsheild.

2)What is criteria for the files to be upgraded , whether a txt file which is changed between version will be recopied during the upgrade or only versioned files will be upgraded.?

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Balaji

Edited by balaji4u, 28 September 2011 - 10:11.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 14:36

1) you could add entries to the RemoveFile table in Direct Editor
2) see help topic "file versioning rules". It even includes some flow charts explaining how Windows Installer makes the decision.

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:02

Hi Stefan ,

Thanks for your reply , i am aware of RemoveFiles table but the file i want to remove is not part of any component, its not packaged along with the setup its a runtime generated files which is generated by our exe , how can i go about deleting such files during minor updates?. Please suggest.

Regards,
Balaji

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 17:58

The file doesn't have to be part of your install. You do need a component however that will be used as a condition for the removal.

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:55

Hi Stefan.

Thanks a lot for your solution , that works beautifully well.

Regards,
Balaji