This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

using "System Search" not in Install Condition

2 replies to this topic

SDm

SDm
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 16:22

Hi All,
I wonder how can I use System Search in an arbitrary place of the installation (specific place in the sequence, say after welcome screen)?

I use System Search for checking if particular DLLs are in the system folder, if not - then warn a user that the installation should not continue due to missing (third party) dlls.

System Search works fine in the Install Condition (General Information/Product Properties). It's Basic MSI project type.

I know that I can use scripts for that, but it would be nice to use this standard feature instead of scripting myself for such a typical task...

Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:59

System Search is performed by the AppSearch standard action. While you can change it sequence number, I wouldn't move it too much, because other actions such as LaunchConditions (and custom actions from some merge modules) rely on it. Also I'm not sure why you need to move it. If a 3rd party dll isn't present when your setup starts, I don't think it will be there after the Welcome dialog.
Note that you could move the error message however, by not using the LaunchConditions but inserting a type 19 (display error message and abort) custom action with a condition based on the System Search result property.

SDm

SDm
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 17:52

Thank you, Stefan! Yes, I just realised that system search just sets the property during AppSearch... My point was that maybe it's better from user experience to warn a user that the installation is started and then we collect info if we can continue. But looks like using of 'install condition' is a common practice for it...