This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

checking IE version before Installer Engine Installed ...

2 replies to this topic

mhine

mhine
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 21:23

Hi

I have seen many examples of how to check for the installed version of IE on a target machine (thank you stefan krueger for you excellent site and examples).  I have tried successfully a few of these examples through script and using Installer engine).  I am ondering if there is any way to get this type of check executed before the SetupInitialization dialog shows that installs the Windows Installer engine on the target machine?  

Currently on a clean NT box with sp6 and no browser the setup will first install the installer engine and then force a reboot.  On the reboot the setup starts again and determines there is no browser installed and displays the appropriate message.  At this point the
system hangs, and the NT desktop does not come up (light blue screen with active arrow pointer).  To get the system back, a reboot is necessary.   So I re-did the IE check using code instead of custom actions and put it in the begin event but it appears even this does not execute before the setupInitialization dialog.

Is what I want to accomplish even possible?  Sorry for the naive questions, I am fairly new to this.

Mike

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 22:30

Windows Installer is the runtime engine of your setup. So you can't execute any script before the engine is installed (i.e. berfore initialization). You would have to do this with an external exe.

However there may be a betetr way. Using the MSI 2.0 runtime files you don't have to reboot after installing Windows Installer runtime before your actual setup starts. Described in this article: http://www.installsh...tter/0110.htm#3

mhine

mhine
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 23:42

Hi Stefan
Thank you for your reply.  I don't really want to use the new installer engine until it has been thoroughly tested.  I ended up using a Launch Condition and that way my message about the IE version comes before the rebooting process.....seems to be working under limited testing.  

I do have one further question though.  I notice after my custom message box is displayed saying "you must install at least IE5" I always get the "1628: Failed to complete installation" Installshield dialog.  Is there anyway to trap this error or set it up so this message does not show up.  I noticed it also when I followed your article "Detecting Internet Explorer and Other Applications with Windows Installer"...my custom error message would show up and then upon clicking "OK" the 1628 Dialog would show.  Thanks for any insight.

Cheers
mike