This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows XP SP1a

4 replies to this topic

slescure

slescure
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 08:45

Hi,

I have a problem under Windows XP SP1a with one of my setups. The installation runs fine if I run it under Windows XP without any service pack. But if I run it under Windows XP SP1a, at the end of the setup process (Progress bar at 100%), I get an unlimited number of Windows Installer windows appearing, then disappearing, then appearing, then disappearing, and so on... It just never ends... (Under Windows XP, it was stopping after 3 or 4 windows).

Thanks for your time

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 09:54

Please try this to diagnose the problem:
http://www.msifaq.com/a/1037.htm

slescure

slescure
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 17:17

Nope, the problem does not occur during the use of my installed software. I actually know this behaviour of Windows Installer that tries to reinstall the software when it does not locate a component, but it is not the problem here.

I run setup.exe.
I go through the installation options (Directory and so on).
InstallShield installs the components (Progress bar is moving)
InstallShield correctly runs the Component registration step.
Then it moves "Publishes product information"
And then, it starts (With the main IS window still opened, the one with the progress bar) to open a Windows Installer window, close it, open another one, close it, open, close, without having these window's progress bar move at all. It just keeps opening/closing/opening/closing forever.

Under Windows XP without SP1a, I get like 3 or 4 of these Windows Installer windows and then the setup ends normally.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:27

This looks like it tries to repair some other software - which fails because your install is still running, thus locking out other setups. Try to find out which other setup tries to repair. You should be able to find this in the event log.

slescure

slescure
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 10:37

I solved the problem, it was coming from the Visual Studio SP6 merge modules!... I found an entry on Google about a bug in these merge modules and this is what was causing the problem.

Problem is, with the fix I found, the SP6 dlls are not necessarily installed. Did Microsoft release an update? Is there a plan to have these merge modules work correctly?