This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installations calling other installations

3 replies to this topic

jasongibbons

jasongibbons
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 10:43

We have a set up here where a main installation calls another installation after it has installed the main dlls.  The secondary installation installs a supplementary program which the main one uses.  I am trying to make some minor alterations to the secondary installation, and whilst the changes work in Windows NT, 2000 and XP, they won't work in Windows 98.  In fact, simply adding an additional function to the install seems to stop it from installing on Windows 98 at all.  What is stranger is that the installation is called correctly (using launchappandwait) but just refuses to do anything.  Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?  The Windows 98 machine I've been using to test this is a clean test machine, so there can be no 'junk' hanging around in the system.

EberhardH

EberhardH
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 07:37

(just as an attempt)

Already installed the latest Maintenance Pack of InstallShield 5?

jasongibbons

jasongibbons
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 09:34

Yep, we're at 5.53 which - according to the Installshield site - is the latest maintenance release.

jasongibbons

jasongibbons
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 14:56

Problem solved:  The issue was that the calling-installation invoked the called-installation with the -s switch (for a silent install) but the functions I added to the called-installation contained messagebox functions.  For some reason, Windows98 can't handle that kind of situation (although NT based OS's can).  The sooner Windows98 is consigned to the dustbin of history, the better.