This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

User details on uninstall

7 replies to this topic

Leigh Ravenhall

Leigh Ravenhall
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 April 2001 - 07:04

If a user clicks on the remove button under add/remove programs, the software is uninstalled with a minimal user interface.  I need to prompt the user for authentication details to a SQL server machine, to delete databases that were part of the install.  

I already have the machine name written into the registry, but I can't store the username/password, because the registry isn't secure.  

It works fine if change is selected, then remove from maintenance type.  How can I get it to run with a more detailed user interface if remove is selected from Add/Remove?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 April 2001 - 16:02

I think in the General Information section of IPWI is an option to disable the Remove button in Win2000 ARP

Leigh Ravenhall

Leigh Ravenhall
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 12 April 2001 - 00:40

It appears that the remove button is designed to run with a silent uninstallation.  For now, I am going to go with Stefan's solution of disabling the remove button.

This leaves the remove button on the panel, but has it greyed out.  Not a very elegant solution, but it will be acceptable until I have something else worked out.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 April 2001 - 14:36

It's not 100% silent (as with /qn) but basic UI (/qb). This means that the UI Sequence is processed, but only non-modal dialogs. The authored user interface is omitted. This means that you can't display a Windows Instalelr dialogs here, but you could insert a custom action (VB Script, DLL, ...) in the UI Sequence to display a dialog. Not very elegant, and probably not what users expect from the Remove button (because most other uninstalls would run without user interaction). I think disabling the Remove button is a clean solution.

vaqueros

vaqueros
  • Full Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 14:41

Disabling the Remove button would work fine in Win 2000 but not in earlier OS.  When the Remove button is disabled, the program does not appear at all in the add/remove programs list in Win 9x.

I have a custom dialog that I want to display to the user before removing the program.  I'm trying to figure out a way for the Remove button to run maintenance.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

(Edited by vaqueros at 10:41 pm on June 14, 2001)

Joel Clary

Joel Clary
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 June 2001 - 15:20

I am in a similar position and would appreciate any advice - my Installer needs to function under Win9x/NT/2000, and generates logfiles and (many) other extras that have unique names (so RemoveFiles is not an option).

The product is being installed from a WinZip Self-Extractor, and I've had to disable the Change... option in Add/Remove programs: this is because users tend to click it and get an error message stating that the source MSI wasn't found (the temp install dir was deleted).

So, I have a custom action that recursively deletes the directories left behind by the installer, and a dialog box set up for the uninstall that asks the user if he wants this action to run. Obviously, the usual option (as worked for Leigh - using Change, then Remove) is of no use to me here...

So, does anyone have any other ideas on this?  Any more input would be greatly appreciated!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 June 2001 - 18:46

To disable the Remove button only on Windows 2000 you can set the ARPNOREMOVE property inside your setup, but only if VersionNT >= 500, using a type 51 ("set a property") custom action. (Leave the setting in the General Information at No). Put this custom action in the Execute sequence before the RegisterProduct standard action.