This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing any dll to systemfolder

1 reply to this topic

WinInst

WinInst
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 16:07

The situation is, that i have a feature with only one component. this component includes a dll-file, lets say "my.dll". The component attribute is set to 0, so the windows installer should not set the shared dll reference counter in registry for "my.dll".

I know, that Microsoft says, that any files in system folder should be marked as shared and so the ref counter in the registry must be set.

But why is windows installer doing this automatically? A could not find any hint at official Microsoft sites or in the msdn or windows installer reference.

Where is this behaviour documented?

Thanks

Gunnar

----------------

Edited by WinInst, 03 December 2007 - 16:09.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 19:24

If the file doesn't exist before you run your setup, then I don't have an explanation for the behaviour you see.
Bit I believe the first recommendation is not to install your files to the system folder. And the second recommendation is to mark them as permanent.