This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installshield and Microsoft Excel

3 replies to this topic

blackellis

blackellis
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 17:43

I am writing an installation that will install a standard VB6 .exe file plus supporting files to a client PC.

One of the supporting files is an Excel Add-In. I would like to update Excel during the install process (preferably in OnFirstUIAfter) so when the user runs Excel the Add-In is already registered.

I have found the CreateObject function in the help but there are no examples to show how it can be used. Is this the right way to go?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 13:49

There should be automation help included in Excel, but I remember I had problems finding it. Look for help file on disk and search for "register addin" or similar.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

blackellis

blackellis
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 10:56

Thanks for the reply, I already have the code to run the registration of the Excel Add-In (you are right it does take some time to find it!).

I would like to run it during the Install process and as mentioned cannot find any useful Installscript code on how to use the CreateObject functions.

I have thought of a way around it by writing a small executable outside of Installshield, copying it to the hard drive during installation and then executing it during the final stages, but I would rather do all of the work in one place.

Any help on source code for the CreateObject (and associated functions)functionality would be welcome.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 13:27

I created a VBscript that would export information from an Installshield project to an Excel sheet. I think I used CreateObject there:

http://www.installsi...ps.htm#Manifest
Regards
-Stein Åsmul