This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ODBCSourceAttribute.Value - Formatted or Text?

2 replies to this topic

Matthias1967

Matthias1967
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:41

Hello,

The field Value of the ODBCSourceAttribute Table is described as Formatted in the current MSDN, i.e. it accepts properties. However, in older versions of the MSDN (e.g. Platform SDK October 2002, as delivered with InstallShield 9), the field was described as Text.

Was this a bug in the documentation, or has the behaviour of Windows Installer changed? If so, I would need a certain MSI version to make sure that properties are accepted here.

Unfortunately, I have not found this issue mentioned in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:01

When you say 'MSDN' do you mean your DVD subscription version? Interestingly, MSDN online disagrees! "Hey, right hand! Left hand here. Whaddya up to?"

TBH, I've found the ODBC functionality in Windows Installer to be occasionally flaky. I no longer use it, preferring instead to write directly to the relevant registry keys and values.

Edited by VBScab, 02 June 2009 - 09:06.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Matthias1967

Matthias1967
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:19

I do not see a disagreement between online and offline here.

MSDN online says it is Formatted. So do current versions of Platform SDK documentation, e.g. the version (copyright 2006) delivered with InstallShield 12.

However, older versions (e.g. Platform SDK October 2002) say it is Text.