This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

how to create an MSI installer using vbscript

2 replies to this topic

rpletscher

rpletscher
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:15

I would like to create MSI installers with the use of vbscript and the Platform SDK tools. I'm new to this and haven't found any example on the web nor have I found out yet what functions or tools should be used.
Could anyone please provide me with a simple example (e.g. create the MSI packge, add one feature, one component and one file)? The creation of the installer should be script based (no manual interaction required).
I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours,

Robert

Edited by rpletscher, 27 February 2010 - 09:31.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 14:08

Google for 'windowsinstaller.installer' on MSDN. The entire object model is documented there. Additionally, the SDK includes script samples for interrogating the tables in an MSI, including the Feature table. Those should provide enough clues to get you started.

Good luck!
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

rpletscher

rpletscher
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:19

Thank you very much for your reply. I was able to start creating a script for my installer build.
I have another question regarding the file size in the File table (FileSize). How do I calculate the file size that needs to be inside this table? As far as I know, the file size on the hard disk depends on the hard disk's cluster size, so how do I know what the exact file size is that needs to be entered in that column?
I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours,

Robert