This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing setup using different users

4 replies to this topic

jsalil

jsalil
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 11:38

Hi All,
Here's a problem I'm currently facing.
I installed Terminal services on the machine 1
Created a normal user “User1” and logged on machine 1 using “User1” credentials.
Using Terminal client (RDP), I logged on machine1 from machine2 with administrative credentials & ran “Setup.exe” to start the installation of my setup on machine1
In the “RunAs” dialog box, I provided “Administrator” credentials
When the installation on machine1 started i.e. As soon as I clicked on “Install” button (Last Screen of wizard), I start another installation on machine2 simultaneously.
I got error 1607, "unable to install Installshield scripting runtime" on machine2.
I tried a similar scenario using acdsee setup (which too is created using installshield). There it behaved as expected, giving A message box stating that “Another installation is in progress” should be
displayed.
How can I do that for my setup. My setup is a basic MSI setup for all users.
Please help,
Thanks,
-Salil.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 11:47

The difference between your setup and ACDSee's setup could be that ACDSee doesn't use Installscript and hence don't install the Installscript engine (I don't know if this is the case, but I think it is a good possibility). The unable to install scripting engine is a general installation problem caused by a variety of issues. In your case it is the fact that you lock files that are to be installed by the Installscript engine setup.

Try to unpack your setup and install as an MSI directly. My guess is you will see a different behavior.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

jsalil

jsalil
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 13:28

Hi,

Your guess was right, after decoupling the msi & setup.exe, the error changed. Now, the setup Interrupted dialogbox pops up.
But my basic issue still lingers: I want to show a messagebox like "Another installation is in progress, please try another time" or something similar.
Is that possible? If so, how?
Thanks & Regards,

-Salil.

jsalil

jsalil
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 15:33

Can I call custom actions in a VBScript as the first action in UI sequence(before MSIServerStartup)?

jsalil

jsalil
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:02

Here is one solution (workaround).
I converted the project from a Basic MSI project to an InstallScript MSI project.
With this change in place, I get the messagebox saying "Another installation is in progress...." as expected.
It seems Installscript MSI given better control over the UI as compared to Basic MSI.
Thx & Rgds,
-Salil.