This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patch Optimization does not work

4 replies to this topic

StYerk

StYerk
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:34

Hi,

this patching thing will kill me eventually....

Using DevStudio9, I have a project with a lot self- authored Merge Modules, some of them use dynamic linking.

When changes to the product have occurred, I want to build a new Release with a new
version number (third number changed, minor upgrade).
In the Patch Optimization field I enter the path to the previous installer version.

When I build the new release, DevStudio says, it has synchronised the file keys.

But when I try to build a patch, I get a lot of 'Val0006' saying there are components missing, WHICH IS NOT TRUE!
There have no files been deleted, the structure is exactly the same!
Looking at the two different MergeModules I see the same entries only with different
GUID's.

I think the Patch Optimization should be able to handle that;

What can that be? Anyone has a hint?

Thank you for helping,

Regards,
Jörg

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:08

Do yuo mean the Component Code GUID of an existing coponent has changed? This is not allowed.

StYerk

StYerk
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 16:23

These changed GUID's are the ones of dynamically linked components within the merge modules.
IS assigns them a new GUID on every build as far as I know...

That's the point, I do not change any component's ID or anything, only files have changed, some of them organized in dynamically linked components.

The patch optimization should take care of synchronizing the components, but it does not work.

My guess is that this comes from the fact that some of the dynamic links use subdirectories.
I am currently changing the merge module so that every directory has it's own component; some of them containing dynamically linked files.
(A lot of annoyingly tiresome work... Our product delivers a big hierarchy...)

Hope this solves the problem.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:14

Including sub-folders in dynamic links will assign a new component GUID for each build. This is a known issue. Changing the component GUID is not allowed in a small or minor update. Therefore you have to add separate components for each folder.

StYerk

StYerk
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 14:06

Ok, got that, Thanks.

It works now.

I have removed all dynamically included subdirectories
and created a component for each subdir (hard work!).

The components still contain dynamic links, but no subdirs.

Now at last I have achieved to create one working patch.

Thanks for helping, Stefan!