This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

returning install status

1 reply to this topic

kenmckinney

kenmckinney
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 19:25

Hey,

I'm converting a small install from IS 7 to a basic MSI project. The installer in question gets mass-deployed over corporate intranets, generally silently.

My old IS7 project communicated success/failure by writing a status string to the registry. The deployment software would then read this string and communicate back to the server which the mass deployment was initiated from.

I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to communicate success/failure back to the invoking process with MSI. For example, if I am launched with msiexec.exe there are a bunch of error codes that it can return, but there doesn't seem to be a way to extend this list beyond the generic error codes which Microsoft provides.

For example, if someone tries to deploy my installer to a machine which doesn't have the correct version of Internet Explorer on it, I'd like to communicate somehow back to the calling executable that 'Internet Explorer must be upgraded before installation can succeed'. My old script would have written "Status=Failure:Internet Explorer must be upgraded before installation can succeed' to the registry on the client machine.

How does one do this in a basic MSI project? Is the correct approach to continue to write these values to the registry, using custom actions? Or is there some other thing I should be doing?

Thanks
Ken McKinney

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:15

You can use a launch condition for this purpose. Error messages from the setup are then written to the windows event log where you can pick them up.