This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Removing/changing a key file in a component

2 replies to this topic

sean.smith

sean.smith
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 13:55

I'm having problems changing the key file of a component.

The install was created with InstallShield for Windows Installer version 1.52 and installs a web application into a Tomcat servlet engine.

The problem occurs as a JSP file, which was set as the key file by the "Component Wizard" using "Best Practices", had to be removed from a component which contains other JSP files. This now results in the component being completely removed during a major upgrade.

Is there any way around this? Am I doing something wrong? I know its not recommended to change the key file setting but this is absolutely necessary as the file no longer exists.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 07:43

The key file really shouldnt be a *text* file anyway, but if you change/remove the key file, windows installer will think that the component has been removed, and remove all files associated with it.

Also, the placement of RemoveExistingProducts will have an effect on the files as well. If this is before InstallFiles then your install should be fine. But there are other set backs with doing this which you need to read up on via the MSI SDK.

If you run in verbose log mode, you can actually see how it checks the key file and removes it.

You will either need to add the key file back in or change the component code and path.

hope that helps!

sean.smith

sean.smith
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 12:04

The previous key file no longer exists, although I could create a temporary file during the build procedure and add an entry to the RemoveFiles table to remove the file when installing.

The cleanest option is to move RemoveExistingProducts before InstallFiles as I can't change the path of the component (although I can change the component code but this alone won't help).

Thanks for your help.