This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

major upgrade on ME

7 replies to this topic

huyton

huyton
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 07:16

Hi,
I use a basic MSI project, and recently do a major upgrade. I follow the major upgrade instruction in described in http://www.installsi.../Upgrading.html. I also put a custom action on my execute sequence after CostInitialize to query the user if he wants to uninstall the old product. If he answers no, the installation quits. (Basically, the script returns -1). This works fine on my XP box. But on ME box, the installation hangs forever. The log indicates that my script returns -1, and a setup error dialog box (sequence -3) is invoked. However, this dialog box never pops up. Installshield hangs from then on and can't be canceled. Any one help please.
Thanks

huyton

huyton
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 07:19

My msiexec version 2.0.2600.1106

huyton

huyton
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 07:42

If I let the uninstallation go ahead, it will uninstall the currently being installed version too. So after the reboot, I got nothing. My new version is 1.3.xx... and in the upgrade table, I set version max = 1.2.9xxx.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 09:12

Which project type and InstallShield version are you using? Major Upgrades are known to be problematic with the InstallScript MSI project type.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 09:13

Oh, I see you are using Basic MSI. Not sure what causes the problem then. Does a log give any clues?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 06:00

Could this be due to the fact that the install sequences run differently on NT based systems and Win9X systems?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 06:05

Stefan, you once told me that CostFinalize only runs in the UI sequende on Win9X systems. I don't see a direct link to the problem huyton experiences though.

huyton, do you have the action in both the user interface and the execute sequence?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

huyton

huyton
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 20:06

turns out we have a bug where the uninstall tries to delete some files that are inuse & and that cause the installer to reboot the machine. I have to investigate why the machine boots without asking. The REBOOTPROMPT property is not set. Windows Installer doc says that if there is no user interface, the it will silently reboot. I have to find out no user interface means. We're not running in Silent mode, and the uninstall does not behave same way on 2000. The other problem where we just hang after canceling is bogus, since I was running virtual PC which is very slow on my machine.