This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install dialogs display rectangular box

2 replies to this topic

kenzo22

kenzo22
  • Full Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:05

Hello there, I have been developing a basic MSI installer recently. I have two machines, one is my develop machine(Windows 7), the other is my build server(Windows server 2003). The exe pacakge and English MSI package built by both machines are ok. However, if I choose to build a MSI package with default language set to Chinese, my develop machine can produce correct MSI package, while the MSI package build by my build sever have dispaly problems, it can't display Chinese charactor correctly, instead, it only displays rectangular boxs, see attached images. I thought my build serve may lack of Chinese font, so I installed "East Asian Languages" in the control panesl's "Regional and language setions", but the problem still exists, could anybody give me a hint what I might missed, thanks in advance smile.gif

Attached Images

• 22.png

Edited by kenzo22, 17 August 2010 - 08:07.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:42

You probably use a particular font that isn't available. Check which font you use on the development machine, and whether that exists on the target computer (Fonts applet in Control Panel)

Another possible issue is that the computers have different versions. I believe that the Arial font was once (Windows Vista?) extended with characters from other code pages like Greek etc. where the default font in older Windows versions didn't have these characters.
The solution, obviously, is to use a font that is always available. This means that the font is available in the lowest supported configuration of your software, without additional requirements like installing Office, installing East Asian languages or installing certain fonts.

kenzo22

kenzo22
  • Full Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:22

I have done two things and it finally works.
1. I installed MICROSOFT WINDOWS MULTILINGUAL USER INTERFACE (MUI) PACK on my build server. After this step, charactor still have display problems.
2. I made the following change in control panel-> Regional and language settings->Advanced->select a language to match the language version of the non unicode programs you want to use
change from English to Chinese(PRC)

After that, the Chinese MSI package can display charactor correctly, don't know whether the first step matters...