This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Software Installation and Maintenance Guidelines

3 replies to this topic

AlexLX

AlexLX
  • Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 15:57

Hi,

I am looking for the set of guidelines for installing software (irrespective of tool used to install and not just for Installshield).

I found the following link:

http://technet.micro...y/bb742421.aspx

But the above mentioned link seems to be very old as it is based on windows 2000 OS.

Can anyone suggest me the link?

Thanks,
Alex

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 17:56

I think the basic concepts of application deployment (msi) haven't changed much. If you are talking about operating system deployment, that's another story.

AlexLX

AlexLX
  • Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 16:17

Thanks Stefan,

What I am looking for is the set of guidelines of microsoft standard which will guide me in deploying the files of my setup.
I have created a document for myself and in which I have mentioned that if the files are used only by my application and there is no way I want them to be altered by the user such as Config files,then put them in CommonAppDataFolder.

If there are files which will be saved my the user and can be accessed by the user then put them in LocalAppDataFolder

However my seniors insist me to add the reference of microsoft which will back these ideas of mine.

I tried to look for the folder structure guidelines on net and on microsoft site but of no luck.

Can you suggest me any link?

Thanks,
Alex

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 17:45

In addition to the link you already know, you could look at the "Designed for Windows" Logo guidelines.