This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor upgrade setup

5 replies to this topic

jrRinku

jrRinku
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:23

I am doing a minor upgarde setup for dynamic linked folders. For each component I have specified a registry entry as key file for each component. If I make changes the registry values and perform minor upgrade the components are marked for installation and it is working fine.

But my requirement is that I want to automate the build process without opening the IDE through command line. How can I change the registry values dynamically so that through command line build so that my comonents will be marked for installationwhen the minor upgrade setup is run.

Please help me.I am digging into this issue for a long time but not able to find a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Sanjeeb Nanda

antyagi

antyagi
  • Full Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:58

What i understand is:
"You want to modify the registry entries related to almost all components."

For this, i suggest, do not include the registry entries in your project. Instead, keep two .reg files with your code e.g., say 1.reg for minor upgrade & 2.reg for major upgrade, and import the .reg file into project thru automation (using ImportRegFile function). In your automation script you can add logic to decide which .reg file to include.

ankur tyagi

jrRinku

jrRinku
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 15:01

Hi antyagi

Thanks for your immediate response.

My problem is only with minor upgrade. i am not going for major upgrade at all. Again if I dont include the registry entries in the project how can I specify it as a key file for a particular component and i want to change the registry entries value every time I create a setup through command line.

I am not aware of automation. Any insight/pointers/feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sanjeeb Nanda

antyagi

antyagi
  • Full Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:32

Sanjeeb, all can suggest you is search for ISWiProject, ISWiComponent, & ImportRegFile. This will help you.

To me automation is something using which you can even create whole project without InstallShield IDE blink.gif
  ankur tyagi

jrRinku

jrRinku
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 12:00

Hi

I went through the automation interface.But to my surprise I found that KeyPathType in ISWiComponent Object is applicable to Installscript project.
Again is it right for automation I have to execute an exe or VB Script code.The
help provided by Installshield is not comprehensive.

I am using a Basic MSI Project. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sanjeeb

jrRinku

jrRinku
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:01

Hi
I am using a Basic MSI project. I am using four components with dynamic linking to Folders.

I want to perform a minor upgrade. For dynamically linked components I have specified registry entries as Keyfile so that the components will be marked for installation by changing the registry key/s.

But my requirement is that I build the setup through command line by using a batch file. How can I change the registry values without opening the IDE. So that the registry values(may be procduct version which will be changed in minor upgrade) may be changed automatically when I run the batch file.

Also I want to specify the previous setup MSI file through command line build so that new components IDs wont be generated.

I need to specify the product version and package code also through command line so that the setup will be a minor upgrade.

Also is there any way I can write a CA which will modify the registry entry value to the new product version and the product version will be passed through the commandline build batch file?can I specify same registry entry as a key file for multiple dynamcally linked components?

I got some information from Antyagi, but I am not able to reach to a solution.
I will be really grateful to Stefan if he can provide some Pointers/Insight as he is having a lot of exposure and experience in Installshield.

I am using Installshield X Pro.Need immediate help.
Thanks in advance.

Sanjeeb Nanda