This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installscript MSI vs Installscript

1 reply to this topic

frederic

frederic
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 15:52

I would like to know what are the advantages of using InstallScript MSI project instead of regular InstallScript project.

Is there anything I can do in the MSI project and can't do in the InstallScript project ?

I know that there are thing that can be done in the InstallScript project and can't be done in the InstallScript MSI project, for example creating different registry sets.

the InstallShield Help Library topic Getting Started > Working with Projects > Determining Which Installation Project Is Right for You; subsections under that heading describe advantanges and disadvantages of the different types. But
In this help file it doesn't said anything about the fact that there are few thing which can be done via the InstallScript Project and can't be done in the InstallScript MSI Project (For example - making several registry sets throw the IDE's GUI), where can I find more info regarding the different environments.

I saw that nothing is said regarding the fact that adding merge modules in the InstallScript Project is optional (actually it is said that adding merge modules is possible only in MSI projects) , how come ?

Thanks for your help.
Regards.
Frederic.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 14:21

You should avvoid "InstallScript MSI". Either use (pure) InstallScript, or use "Basic MSI" but avoid the mixture of the two technologies.