This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Another version of this product is already install - Help me

5 replies to this topic

Den123

Den123
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:59

When i do new version of my software and try to install it , MSI show me the error "Another version of this product is already install .... "
I need manually delete previous version. This is uncomfortable for users.
I try to find decisions

1. Need to change Product Code {Guid}, and do Major update, But! I can't to change my product because i use it guid in my software in remote install process for automatic uninstall process previos version (msiexec '/x ' + PRODUCT_CODE + ' /qn')
I can't dont want to change my Product guid

2. Do minor upgrade, but for it i need Setup.exe file, i dont have setup.exe file. I try some attempts with update and all fails

---
How can i config msi file, for automatic delete another version or hide (skip) this error message?

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:02

Where do you use this automatic uninstall process?  The fact that you do not change the product code is the reason you are getting this message.  I would urge you to use a major upgrade but that requires you to:

1. Change your package and product code

2. Change your product version

There must be a reason you are doing what you are doing.  Before I recommend a solution, I would like to now why you are doing it the way you are to be sure any advice is sound.

Can you tell us where is the code you provided?

How does it get called?

Have you considered using major upgrades in the past?

If you have considered it, why did you abandon them?

Den123

Den123
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:22

I use automatic uninstall in remote installation process, and in it i call uninstall function by my Product Code for deleting previous version of my software, therefore i can't change my Product Code

My product code is constant , 

msiexec '/x ' + PRODUCT_CODE + ' /qn'

If i change it, i will have some unexpected errors

I dont use Major update in the past. 

When i try to install manual run msi installation, usually it offer me Reinstall-repair-remove dialog, but (how i think) when i change my msi included file add new files or do something another changing, the msi start show me Error dialog.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 17:37

A major upgrade can automatically uninstall the previous version, so you may not need to remove it remotely.

If you do a Minor Update, you either need to use a setup.exe, or if that's not feasile you could launch

msiexec.exe /i your.msi REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL

which is essentially what the setup.exe does. Of course only if a previous version already exists, this command line will not work for a first time install.

Or have your remote process uninstall the older version, then it's technically no longer a Minor Update but a firt time install.

Den123

Den123
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 13:10

it is for me

msiexec.exe /i your.msi REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL

But after this command my executable exe file is not started, 

This command do not execute my additional scripts in the msi file?

PS

this command just uninstall  and not install new msi?

Edited by Den123, 16 March 2015 - 13:17.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 17:49

This command do not execute my additional scripts in the msi file?

In general it shouldn't make a difference. Howevere it depends on how you conditioned your custom action.

this command just uninstall  and not install new msi?

Thsi is for a minor update, so it does not uninstall the old version but installs the new version on top of it. The ProductCode must stay unchanged for this.