This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Problems applying a patch

6 replies to this topic

Mikael

Mikael
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 October 2001 - 00:33

I am trying to apply a patch to an already installed application (standard project). The patch is wrapped into "update.exe", as it is supposed to be when using standard projects.

When I apply the patch (without commandline parameters) the installation of the patch starts, but I get the error-message:

"1: This installation can not be run directly launching the MSI package; you must run setup.exe."

The setup contains setup.exe, isscript.msi, myapplication.msi, instmsia.exe, instmsiw.exe, data1.cab, setup.ini and 0x0406.ini. The setup was run from setup.exe.

What am I doing wrong? I thought update.exe contained all the command line parameters that was needed.

mandrews

mandrews
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 October 2001 - 21:32

I get the same thing.  I don't think patching works yet.  Hopefully InstallShield will fix in the service pack.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 October 2001 - 10:11

I am unable to reproduce this problem. I just did a simple test:
1. Create a standard project
2. Create an updated version of a standard project
3. Run the patch wizard to create update.exe
4. Install first version of Standard setup
5. Run update.exe
No error messages.
(I have MSI 2.0 on the test system - that may make a difference)

mandrews

mandrews
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 October 2001 - 15:17

What GUID's are you changing?

In my test, I go to the "Releases" section and then the Product Configuration branch (first branch of tree).  I change the Product Version and change "Generate Package Code" to Yes.  Change the appropriate files and rebuild.

Then run the patch wizard and point it to both builds (new and original).

Is that what you're doing?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 October 2001 - 15:29

Yes (actually I changed the product version in the general information section before I built the second release).

mandrews

mandrews
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 October 2001 - 18:20

Still can't get it, even with MSI 2.0.

There's a lot of options and possibilities when setting up even a simple test case like this.  Mikael and I are doing something the same...

Hopefully the Service Pack will fix us up.

slincks

slincks
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 23:12

Has anyone figured this one out. I am having the same problem. I am using MSI 2.0.2600.0 and Windows NT service Pack 6. Any help would be appreciated.