This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Product Code getting Modified Automatically.

2 replies to this topic

satishb

satishb
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 14:47

Hi,

I am creating a setup project in VisualStudio.net. I ran the ProductSetup.msi after i had build the solution.
Now when i search the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products, I found that product code has been changed automatically ( different from what it was in the Setup Project under Product Code property ).

CODE

Actual ProductCode in project : {75AE7A3B-C737-40B5-AE10-086C7875A44F}
ProductCode found in the Registry : {B3A7EA57737C5B04EA0180C687574AF4}

After probing some more into the registry, i found that this also happening with the Component Ids, the ComponentId's of the files in the MSI file were different than that the ones in the registry. However both are referring to the same files on the system.

What is Windows Installer doing internally ?
Why are the product codes/componentIds getting changed in this manner ?

Is this some inherent problem with the MSI's build with VisualStudio.net.

Regards,
-Kumar

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 09:03

This is by design. Maybe the following article will help you: "Darwin Transform and Its Application in Windows Installer Custom Actions" at http://www.installsi...s/en/msi/ca.htm

satishb

satishb
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 12:08

Thanks. The article was helpful.

Regards,
-Kumar