This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Single EXE with an External File

2 replies to this topic

DenMori

DenMori
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 20:41

I've been tasked to create an Installer, though in reality it is just a shell to allow the user to pick from a list of items defined by an external INI file. The desire is to structure a CD as follows:
Root level has autorun.inf, setup.exe, Launch.INI (contains the list of possible features, the paths on the CD where they reside, command-line arguments)
\Folder1
\Folder2
\Folder3
... and so on, each folder corresponding to a feature in the Launch.INI file.

The problem I am having is that I can't get the setup.exe to recognize the location of the Launch.INI file! I've tried SRCDIR,SRCDISK,PACKAGE_LOCATION, all without success. The only thing that works is if I incorporate the Launch.INI into the support files/disk1 view. The problem is that I have been told that we should not have to rebuild the shell everytime the INI file changes -- the idea is to maintain a master "CD Folder" on the network that we can just burn CDs from and update the INI and create new folders as new items become available.

Does anyone have any ideas where I could be going wrong?

Thanks,

Dennis

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:03

Which value do you get from PACKAGE_LOCATION?

DenMori

DenMori
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 14:49

Stefan, I was being thrown off by the fact that when I was in debug mode, PACKAGE_LOCATION was returning nothing..when I added a message box and ran the exe from Start, Run, it return the full path of the EXE (including the file name!). So all hopefully all I should have to do is a ParsePath call to remove the file name

I'll post again if I run into anything else.