This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstall after upgrade does not work

2 replies to this topic

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 16:52

I have upgraded from ver 1.0 of a product to ver 1.1 using a service pack. Now, i try to uninstall ver 1.1 using the msi of that version. The command used is msiexec /x <msiname> There is an error 'Another version of this product is installed....'.

Why is this error seen? I already have version 1.1 on my system after the upgrade.

The command line msiexec /i <msiname> REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus tries to upgrade from ver 1.1 that is already present on the system. Am able to uninstall after this command.

Can someone explain this behavior?

m.nouryan

m.nouryan
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 18:13

Q1. Can you uninstall the 1.1 upgraded product using Add/Remove programs?
Q2. Have you tried {GUID} instead of <msiname>?

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 13:37

This seems to be the way the windows installer works. Let me try and put my understanding in words.

After the product is upgraded from v1.0 to v1.1 using the msp and v1.1 msi is applied, windows installer looks for a copy v1.1 msi already cached in the system. This will not be available as this is the first time v1.1 msi is applied on the system. So,
msiexec /i v1.1.msi will not allow the user to enter in maintenance mode and give an error " Another version of the product is installed ..."

Now, using the command
msiexec /i v1.1.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus will remove the patch and also cache the v1.1 msi.

Following this, the command
msiexec /i v1.1.msi will run and open the installer in maintenance mode.