This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error 1644

1 reply to this topic

PaulDeveloper

PaulDeveloper
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 15:51

I am using 7.04 to do a standard project. It works fine in a Win 98 machine.

On a Win 2000 machine, setup aborts very early, with an error message 1644, basically saying it can't continue because I'm not an administrator.

The problem (see IS KB Q105258) is that you need to be an administrator user to install the Installshield engine! As proof, when I installed my application as an administratior, uninstalled it, then tried again as a normal user, it worked! The engine goes in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Installshield. Further evidence is that renaming this directory causes the problem to come back for non-administrators.

Does anyone know if there is a work-around for this? If not, has anyone reported this as a bug to IS?

Thanks

PaulDeveloper

PaulDeveloper
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 16:16

Still getting nowhere.

The setup won't run without the Installshield engine, which is supposed to install automatically, this dosen't work for non-administrators.

I tried running isscript.msi as an administrator, it worked fine.  When I did it as a non-administrator, I got an error 1406: "Could not write value Folder to key HKEY..".  

IS kb article Q107247 suggests 5 causes, the one which is right is "Insufficient privileges on the machine where setup is being run".  This refers you to Q105140, which suggests changes an administrator can make to the Win 2000 configuration which will allow the setup to work.  None of this is any help: I want my setup to work without the intervention of an administrator!

Has anyone any ideas?