This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Is it possible to use installscript to jump to certain dialog in Basic

3 replies to this topic

xbug

xbug
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 17:56

Hi everybody,

I have a Basic MSI project, in which I hope to use some function to jump to certain dialog.

for example:

Welcome->License-Customer Information->Custom Setup....

I have a script running on Custom Setup dialog and it will detect some system componet based on the Features user select, it may jump back to License Dialog if something missing....

Many thanks

Vincent

overlord

overlord
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 21:31

So you can flip a property with your script and then on the next  or back button you can change the dialog it goes to based on the property value or trigger. 

If you look at the default "readyToInstall" dialog and select behavior you should see a bunch of events for new dialog that are tied to the back button and the install now.

You should be able to create an additional one there that jumps backwards when you click next if they skipped something important.

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:33

I agree with overlord's suggestion.  Using the Events is the accepted way to handle changing the UI flow.

One thing to consider however is that if there is no prompt or visual noting why the user is being sent back, then you risk an infinite loop taking the user in circles since he/she will never know what to do to correct the problem.

Creating your own dialog isn't that hard in Basic MSI projects and might be a better fit depending on your specific case.

overlord

overlord
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:55

That is a really good point. I would strongly encourage you to do as he says and create a custom dialog or have a pop up with a warning letting them know why you are going back.