This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Desktop Shortcut

1 reply to this topic

jforst

jforst
  • Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 18:33

I have a basic MSI project that includes a DesktopShortcut component that does nothing but create a Desktop Shortcut for my application if a property is set. The Shortcut points to a ".msc" file and an ".ico" file for its icon. After installation is completed the Shortcut is created, it points to the correct Target file and when you select change icon the correct icon is already selected. However the shortcut is displaying Microsofts WinXP default icon instead of my ".ico" file. If you simply open the shortcut properties and click O.K. the correct icon is now displayed.

On WinXP Professional the destop shortcut is created and displays the WinXP default icon just for a couple of seconds before the desktop is refreshed and then the proper icon is displayed.

Is there any known fix or workaround for this?????

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 08:12

This is normal shell behavior. For instance, if you open a Windows Explorer, set the view to "small icons", then navigate to a folder with a lot of .exe files or shortcuts, the explorer shows the file names and replacement icons at once, and after a short time the replacements icon are updated with the intended icons.

A workaround would be hiding the desktop, eg. by showing a huge billboard.