This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSXML4 problem

5 replies to this topic

aglenwright

aglenwright
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 03:30

I am using the M$ merge module to install MSXML4 as part of my install set.  As part of my normal testing, I have installed my application on a "fresh" Windows XP machine, and am getting the old "ActiveX component cannot create object" error, and have identified MSXML as the culprit.

I have tried:
a)  Updating MSI to the latest version using instmsi.exe
B)  Manually registering MSXML?.DLL using regsvr32.  Both MSXML4R.DLL and MSXML4A.DLL have the "OleSelfReg" resource entry, but give me errors (cannot find DLLEntryPoint).
c)  Installing MSXML4 manually, using the MSXML4.MSI package from Microsoft.

And I still get the error.  Has anyone else had this problem on Windows ME?
Anthony Glenwright
Inventua

aglenwright

aglenwright
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 05:04

I found the solution.  I was using the version-independant ProgID "MSXML2.DomDocument", which MSXML4 doesn't support.
Anthony Glenwright
Inventua

Jamie Clayton

Jamie Clayton
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 09:00

I have been trying to get the MSXML4.msm to work with an MSI packaged created by the MS Visual Studio Installer software.

Unfortunately I'm getting installation errors on NT4 sp6 machines along the lines of "Error 1904. Module c:\winnt\system32\msxml4.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147024770. Contact support personnel."

I've updated my WI to version 2. The installation is great on W2k machines but not NT.  I'm afraid to test on other OS systems until I can workout how to fix the NT4 problem.

MS doesn't seem to have any mechanism to report MSM installation errors, which doesn't help solve 3rd party MSM problems.

Regards Jamie...

aglenwright

aglenwright
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 05:23

Are you checking for IE 4 or greater?  MSXML3 & 4 have a dependency on IE4.
Anthony Glenwright
Inventua

Jamie Clayton

Jamie Clayton
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 April 2002 - 07:33

Anthony,

Ok I wasn't aware of the IE 4 or higher check.  I knew this sort of thing would come up eventually with MS wanting there IE product on a PC.

Dare I ask how to find the IE version on a PC via WI.  I assume I'll have to read the registry to get it from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\IE Setup". I have some Installation DLL's that extract various registry entries for MS Access installation locations.  Do I need to add some more for IE and then use a custom action or do you have a easier solution?

Thanks for you help.  Hows the weather in Melbourne? Brisbane is great.

Jamie Clayton

Jamie Clayton
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 April 2002 - 08:15

I haven't tested the IE side yet but I found a nice reference to how to do this IE check.

Detect IE version installed

Thanks to Stefan ;)

I would really like to know why the MSXML4.msm isn't already checking for the IE4 reference as part of it package.  Seems a little poor that we have to find out after pulling out hair and spending time searching for answers.