This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

dynamic file links and upgrading

2 replies to this topic

joephayes

joephayes
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 19:16

Hi!

I'm using Installshield v. 8.0 SP2. I have an install that includes a merge module which contains a component (for help files) that uses dynamic file linking (including subfolders). Now has come the time to perform an upgrade. When I run the Upgrade Validation Wizard after a build all the files in this component get flagged as needing to be added to the RemoveFiles table. Is there anyway around this? IF I use dynamic linking in a component does this mean I can only perform MAJOR upgrades?

Forgive me if I missed something basic in Installshield's help docs but this one has me scratching my head.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can offer.

J

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 09:01

Installshield will assign a keyfile to dynamically linked components at build time. This keyfile may be different for each build UNLESS you point the patch optimization wizard setting for the new release to the previous MSI package. If you do this Installshield will synchronize the file keys between the two setups. This means that The same file will not be installed to the same location with different component GUIDs. This duplicated GUID's pointing to the same file is probably the cause of the problem you are seeing.

Note that major upgrades are also vulnerable to this problem (and especially if you schedule RemoveExistingProducts at the end of the setup).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

joephayes

joephayes
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 18:44

Thanks! I appreciate the info!