This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Dynamic registry settings

1 reply to this topic

pvsmadhukar

pvsmadhukar
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 05:39

HI Friends,

our company decided to use windows installer as install tool and i am able to start with some small install packages and my problem is i want to set dynamic registry settings(that i want to set registry at run time like classpath) and how can i add my code to the installation package to .msi file i have editor to edit .msi file and i am entering the values into registry table but if now i want to change those registry settings at run time(installation time) how can i do it please help me in this.
regards
Madhukar.

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 09:00

If you want to change registry values this is quite easy.  If you define properties these can be used in the registry tables value field.

eg.
"The colour is  [MYPROPERTY]" and MYPROPERTY has been set to "red"
Then "The colour is red" is set in the registry.
Similarly  "[$MyComponent]"
will expand to "c:\program files\company\product" if it was installed there.

You can find full details in the MSI documentation which can be found in the MSDN and with installer builder programs.

-----------------------

Now if you aim is to generate keys dynamically then you have a harder problem.  It can be done.  You need to add temporary rows to the registry table using the Msi database functions.  It may be easier to use Win32 registry functions in a custom action.  In both these cases you will need to take care with the installation.
Ian Blake
(Currently Unemployed)