This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to build application to one file

3 replies to this topic

hsmok

hsmok
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 16:19

Could I build application into one file setup.exe ??
So, when people download my application just download one file and then if clicked, running the installation

CodeSkunk

CodeSkunk
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 20:54

You must purchase a tool like package for the web for this.
The MSI package can be "stand alone", but you need a way to ensure that the user gets the MSI runtimes when needed and this is done by setup.exe.

You "could" build your own by including the files as resouce items in a CPP application and then using FindResource and LoadResource, but if your file was big this wouldn't be good in addition to the fact that if you aren't an experienced C++ developer, you will have difficulty with all of the API calls.

PFTW will wrap all of this up into one executable.
CodeSkunk
Sr. Propeller Head
~Making windows my b**ch since '93

Dejan

Dejan
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 15:48

>>Could I build application into one file setup.exe ??
>>So, when people download my application just download >>one file and then if clicked, running the installation

Have you tried Media type: web, Web type: One Executable, Generate one click install (checkbox on the next dialog in Release Wizard)? That's what we are doing and it works. And user doesn't have to download file just click on the link and it is installed on his (her) machine.

Hope this helps

regards,
dejan

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 July 2002 - 11:41

Using the Release wizard you can also generate a "classic" single file, self extracting setup.exe install, quite similar to PackageForTheWeb.

BTW PackageForTheWeb is a free download from http://www.installshield.com