This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ISWI installing across a network using UNC or Mapped Drives

3 replies to this topic

jveg

jveg
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2001 - 21:04

Hi all.  I am using ISWI 1.52 / WI 1.11.1314.0

If anyone has any experience with attempting to use a mapped network drive or UNC Path as the recipient of any installed package which uses at least one self-registered dll , then I'd appreciate any input as to how you avoided getting the message dealing with type library failing to register for said components.

Does anyone know offhand if advanced settings or extract at build has these same problems?

Note well that I can register these manually with out any problems (by running regsvr32.exe associated by "double-clicking" on the dll) across the UNC and the ampped share.

This is quite perplexing, since it works w/o WI I am starting to think maybe it is a bug.

Whew, that was one long sentence ;)

Thanks!

jam

jam
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 February 2001 - 22:16

Try having the component set as always install local.

jveg

jveg
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2001 - 20:41

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction...I already had my components set for "Favor Local" installation in the Remote Installation's property value.  According to the help

Set the Component's Remote Installation Property

This component property determines whether you will install this component's files onto the target system or run them from the source medium, such as a CD-ROM or network server.

Therefore, I believe that the components are not being self registered because ISWI/WI somehow restricts the scope for self registration, if that makes any sense...Making the individual Components under the features "Optional" (again, according to the help) should allow me to set the feature to Remote and the Components should register then.

I have yet to implement, but I thought I'd let you all know how it is going.  More later (hopefully a "woohoo!" :) when I've gotten the stuff ready to test and actually tried it.

J